Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ABC: All the Best get Cancelled

I suppose, in the long run, I should be grateful.

I used to watch only a couple of hours of TV a week: generally, my watching revolved around Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy, and that's about it. But moving in with Todd brought with it a full slate of shows that I now enjoy. Our regular schedule in the fall got up to nine hours a week of prime-time programming, plus specials like American Idol and Dancing With the Stars.

Or, should I say, I enjoyed a full slate of shows. ABC-branded networks have dropped a good chunk of the programs from my list. That weekly schedule included Kyle XY, Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies — all unceremoniously dropped. (It also included Ugly Betty, which is on some weird mid-season schedule-shuffle hiatus.) I'm just glad we weren't fans of Dirty Sexy Money or Life on Mars. New shows on ABC don't stand a chance these days.

The single greatest sin of Eli Stone? It was on at 10. NBC realizes this is the kiss of death for live watching, or they wouldn't have put Jay Leno there. Shows at 10 get DVRd in our house, and probably many others. It was one of the best shows on TV: well thought out, entertaining and well acted.

And Kyle, though not the best-written show in history, was engaging. And it was the only show on ABC Family we watched. Their series finale was a complete and utter letdown — a cliffhanger that should have been a season finale, not a never-again series finale, with no resolution for the characters. I'm still hoping for a satisfactory wrap somewhere for Eli and Daisies.

The irony is that now, ABC has eliminated most of our DVRing. We use it for Private Practice and Brothers & Sisters, but no longer need it for simultaneous-programming issues. (Dancing With the Stars gets DVRd but has been so lackluster this season, I really don't care who wins. And the fanboys knock it off and let Woz go.)

Now, we see previews for new ABC series, and both of us have the same reaction: why bother investing in a new ABC show now? We can always wait a season or two and see if it's still around, then go rent the DVD to catch up.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you moved in with Todd? Are you guys gay? I had no idea. I thought you were special friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. ABC keeps canceling the good stuff. I now find HBO's and Showtimes series so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about Kyle XY!! They promoted it as the series finally and I thought great... everything will be worked out and it will end. A nice three year run... BUT NO... 10 min before the end of the show I am thinking..."how can then close all this up in 10 min?". They left a ton of open threads and nothing was resolved! I was totally pissed at ABC for that to the point of not watching it again. If that was the end... that was horrible. but I have this feeling that they did it on purpose to do just what they did... make me and the rest of the fan mad so that we cause a stir about the show.... and tune in next season for more madness! aaaahhhhhh!!!!!

    ReplyDelete